Easter cake recipe: Poppy seed plait
For: 1 cake
Baking time: 25 minutes
Resting time: 2.5 hours
For the dough:
- Mix the flour, salt, sugar cane and yeast in a bowl. Add the butter, milk and egg and knead into a smooth dough.
- Cover with a tea towel and leave to prove for 1.5-2 hours (the volume of the dough will double in size).
For the filling:
- Use a food chopper or blender to finely grind the poppy seeds into an oily paste. Put the poppy seeds, butter, milk, sugar and cinnamon in a pot and simmer for a few minutes until the mixture has thickened. Stir in the lemon zest and honey and leave to cool.
- Roll out the dough on a lightly floured work surface into a rectangle and spread the poppy seed mixture over it. Roll up the dough from the long side. Cut the roll in half lengthwise and plait the strips with the cut-side up. Form the plait into a round wreath and lay on a baking tray lined with baking paper. Leave to prove again for 30 minutes.
- Preheat the oven at 180 °C and bake the plait for 25 minutes. Leave to cool on a cooling rack. Sprinkle with the icing sugar and serve.
Tip:To save time, use a pre-made poppy seed filling from the supermarket.